~~ "She has so many aliases, you'd think she was a spy!" ~~

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

In which you're spared hearing me sing karaoke

It’s here, it’s here! Remember when I linked to a free podcast of my story “The Sound of My OwnVoice”? Well, the whole anthology of urban fantasy stories from Fiction River, Hex in the City, edited by the phenomenal Kerrie Lynn Hughes, is now available for sale!

Here’s what I wrote for the intro to my story…

Years ago a humor blogger relayed a tale about drunkenly singing karaoke with friends, to the point of rolling around on the stage. Sadly, there’s no logical progression to how my brain forms ideas—it’s rather like the Underpants Gnomes on South Park (Phase 1: Collect Underpants. Phase 3: Profit). Here, it was Phase 1: Drunken Karaoke. Phase 3: Woman Who Has No Idea She’s a Siren Because She’s Been Told Never to Sing Gets Drunk, Sings Karaoke, Then Hot Guy Stops Her, and Then Stuff Happens. I found the rest of the story as I wrote it.

(I have been told this is a novel. In fact, it will be…eventually. For now, you get the short story, and by the gods you will be thankful for it!)

This anthology, though… It’s all I can do not to drop everything I’m doing and start reading. Holy shitballs! I mean, just look at this table of contents:

Foreword: Puzzle Pieces, Kristine Kathryn Rusch
Introduction: Hexen & Magick, Kerrie L. Hughes*
King of The Kingless, Jay Lake
Speechless in Seattle, Lisa Silverthorne
Thy Neighbor, Nancy Holder
Somebody Else’s Problem, Annie Bellet
A Thing Immortal As Itself, Lee Allred
Geriatric Magic, Stephanie Writt
Red As Snow, Seanan McGuire
Music’s Price, Anthea Sharp
The Sound of My Own Voice, Dayle A. Dermatis
The 13th Floor Problem, Dean Wesley Smith
Dead Men Walking, Annie Reed
One Good Deed, Jeanne C. Stein
Fox and Hound, Leah Cutter
The Scottish Play, Kristine Kathryn Rusch

--
*Kerrie, if you have a website, I failed to find it…so sorry….

No comments: