So I sent out a bunch of stories Sunday (nine, I believe), and ASIM has already passed “What Price Beauty?” up to the second round. They’ve done that with about five of my stories so far. Still haven’t cracked the final barrier, but it’s always a nice reminder that my work doesn’t automatically suck.
Some other writing stats from May and early June:
- Sale! A reprint of “All About the Ratings” will appear in the Mammoth Book of Best New Erotica.
- Follow-up on a previous sale—it was an especially lovely acceptance: “Just a quick note to tell you that, damn, ‘The Queen of Christmas’ is an excellent story.”
- Another agent pass on Waking the Witch; nice things to say about my writing, but didn’t click with the character.
- Best Lesbian Love Stories: Summer Fling accepted “In Flight,” a story inspired by the day-long course I took at the raptor center in Wales, learning to fly and care for hawks and falcons and owls, oh my!
- An anthology formerly entitled In the Flesh has provisionally accepted my story “Party Favor.” (The publisher gets final right of refusal.)
- A total of five (three of my own, one Sarah Dale, and one Sophie Mouette) rejections from this year’sBest Women’s Erotica.
- Two rejections from Best American Erotica.
- Rejection from The Town Drunk for “Matchmaker.”
I finally registered my new car today! It took only two and a half months… (Okay, I had all the paperwork to register it right before Styxfest, but it was so not a priority then.) I still haven’t decided on what my vanity plates should say (everything I’ve wanted so far has been taken, big surprise in CA, and anything I’ve tried to translate into Welsh has been far too long to fit on the plate!), so I got regular ones for now. Suggestions are always welcome!
Currently Reading: Hell’s Belles, Jackie Kessler
Lately Listened To: Celtic Woman
Recently Watched: The Riches, Northern Exposure