…lowfat crock pot recipes.
Anyone out there have favorites to share? I really love being able to throw everything into the pot in the morning and have dinner waiting whenever we want it.
A few caveats:
- Not a lot of prep work, please. Chopping veg is fine; pre-cooking is less so. The whole idea of this is it for not to be a lot of work!
- Recipes that combine meat, veg, and brown rice or wheat pasta (or at least two out of the three) are the spiffiest! I’m all about the one-pot meal.
- I can modify to lowfat if needed. For example, recently I used lowfat cream of chicken soup and fat-free cream cheese in a recipe, and it turned out smashingly well.
- Any kind of meat is fine. We’ve cut back a lot on beef, but do eat it occasionally (or frequently substitute ground turkey for ground beef). Chicken (esp. boneless, skinless breasts), pork, lamb is all good. As much as we love it, game such as venison and ostrich is more expensive and harder to come by for us, though.
- Seafood (e.g., shrimp, scallops, etc.) recipes are highly encouraged! I find I’m less and less fond of fish when it’s cooked (sushi is another matter entirely!), but I’m willing to try.
- No mushrooms. If you have a fabulous recipe that contains mushrooms, please send it along; I’ll modify it on my end (I’ll substitute baby carrots or extra onions or something). Just no fabulous vegetarian dishes based on mushrooms. (Besides, we’re carnivores—our teeth and digestive systems say so!)
- I’m not fond of savory and sweet in the same dish, so no recipes containing gobs of fruit. (Maybe a little fruit, if the dish is also spicy. Convince me!)
- Hot-n-spicy is yummy. We’re not afraid of fire…
- I already have good recipes for boeuf bourguignon, beef stroganoff, and Sloppy Joes.