~~ "She has so many aliases, you'd think she was a spy!" ~~

Saturday, January 03, 2009

A good year indeed


The New Year has started out extremely well, even if, in my mind, yesterday was the first day of the New Year (since we were traveling all day Thursday). They say that what you do on the first day of the year relates to how your year will go, and my first day(s) have been mostly marvelous.

New Year’s Day started with kisses and the best music EV-er, followed by cheap champagne and much laughter, and then blessed sleep. In the morning we had brunch with Sara (the fabulous Styx fan with whom we stayed—she’s also into faeries, SFF, Ren Faire, crafts, and paganism, so you’d think we were clones or something), Rob (a fellow OWN writer), his wife Ximena, and his brother Richard. Then, sadly, we had to say goodbye to Sara and drive home, but that involved stopping at The Old Spaghetti Factory for supper, and a day that includes TOSF and mizithra cheese is a good day indeed.

I woke up with a headache yesterday (a holdover from the day before) but liberal applications of painkillers and a hot shower chased it away. I hammered through some e-mail, and after lunch went to CB&TL where Ellenie and I caught up and got productive. I finished writing the first draft of part 3 of the workshop, and got a good chunk done on Ghosted (Ellenie helped me work through a couple of small sticking points, in part by saying useful things that sparked me, and in part just by being there so I could ramble aloud at her to get to the information I needed). :-)

The only downside was when I got home, Grimoire started yarking up bile (on his own paws, even), panting, and shaking, so we raced off to the vet. Who gave him a shot of $30 painkiller (in hindsight, I should’ve asked for one, too—my neck/shoulder is killing me and I don’t have a chiro appt until Monday), told us to not feed him ‘til morning, and bring him back in the morning if necessary.

Half an hour later, he was demanding food and purring. Twit. As Ken said in the vet’s waiting room, “This is why we don’t have kids.” (To which I responded “Really? I thought it was because I didn’t want to lose my girlish figure.”)

We wrapped up the day with pizza (because it was too late to cook) and a soak in the hot tub, and that’s pretty much a perfect end to any day.

Now we’re to today, and I was up early to feed Grimoire and make sure he was okay, which he is. The mail came early because we had packages—hemp cord for my new corset and my comp copy of The Mammoth Book of Best New Erotica, which includes the Sophie Mouette reprint “Behind the Masque” (about jewel thieves in Vegas! Hee!).

Lots of work planned for today:
  • Ghosted
  • crit a story of Teresa’s
  • review synopsis of PUM (formerly Angelika)
  • go over part 2 of our workshop
  • write holiday thank-you notes
  • track down the roadie who gave me the backstage pass and thank him! (There’s a form to contact the band on their website, plus the band has a MySpace page; I’ll leave messages both places :-) )
  • work on (and ideally finish) the first online issue of The Oak Leaf, our Shire’s newsletter
  • hammer through more e-mail
  • go to the gym
  • go to the library

I’ll check back later with my progress!

No comments: