~~ "She has so many aliases, you'd think she was a spy!" ~~

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

12 weeks isn't that long, is it?


Ken and I have embarked on a 12-week fitness program. We both get bored going to the gym and doing the same things, and I work better when I have clear goals (well, when I’m being told what to do, which is why having a trainer is my best bet. But I can’t afford a trainer right now, and having a website tell me what to do on a particular day is a reasonable substitute for my brain.) We’re focusing on the workout/fitness portion, not so much on the food portion, because we already eat reasonably healthy (when we plan good meals ahead). I’m loosely tracking what I’m eating to get a sense of where I’ve slipped, but I’m not sure if I’ll do any calorie-counting. That tends to make my brain unhappy, too.

Today was our third day, and for me, at least, it’s going great. It definitely helps to have a plan, because I don’t want to skip a day and fall behind, or do less than what the day’s routine calls for. It helps, too, to plan with Ken when we’re going to the gym. My previous workout partner got too busy, and I couldn’t find anyone else in the area who was interested. (Once I’m at the gym, I’m usually in good spirits and enjoy cranking on those endorphins. It’s getting to the gym that’s my real bugaboo—and so far, this is definitely helping.)

After the 3 months, we might do the Couch-to-5K challenge, because he’s been considering running a marathon. I don’t know if my body can handle running again, but when I did run, I actually enjoyed it a lot. So we’ll see.

3 comments:

TeresaNoelleRoberts said...

Hope it goes well for you guys!

I know what you mean about needing someone to get you there. I was much better about getting to dance class when Tracy lived in the area and we car-pooled.

I'll probably start getting into shape a bit more seriously when the weather improves. "Playing outside" works much better for me than any kind of exercise plan. My inner child goes PFFFT! at those. You are a stronger person than I.

Dayle A. Dermatis said...

I like being able to track my progress, which is why I like things like cross-trainers and weight machines. But I also like to shake that up with dance classes, yoga, Pilates, walking on the beach, etc. The more variety for me, the better.

That's one of the things I like about this plan--it encourages all types of cardio, whatever you want. Today was an "Active Rest" day, which means no official cardio, but do things that are more than your normal sedentary routine. (In an office, for example, stand up and stretch once an hour.) So we walked to the library and then looped around through part of the Historic District. :-)

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I really must start exercising too.... Marian X