~~ "She has so many aliases, you'd think she was a spy!" ~~

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Poll results revealed, with commentary and prizes!


The results of my little poll are in, and they’re…as clear as mud.  O.o  At least on the cover side of things.

8 people preferred Photo A and 10 preferred Photo B, and 1 person said neither sucked. 2 people for each A and B would prefer the photo with modifications.

I appreciate that comment, but…wow. I have no Photoshop skills, and a limited amount of time, especially when it comes to putting a bunch of my work up for sale. (I mean, one cover, sure, but 10? 20? Obviously I shouldn’t have divorced the photographer…)  ;-)

I confess I was surprised that so many folks preferred Photo B, because it’s what I hear most people complain about—the clichéd, headless torso that says nothing about the book. Then again, the people I most hear complain about that are other writers…and yet 6 out of 12 writers who took the poll chose it. (5 chose A. 1, as mentioned above, chose neither.)

I think Photo A is incredibly sexy. (And yet I hate the movie Ghost. Go figure.) Plus it looks like she’s sculpting the very body part the main character happens to be sculpting in the award-winning excerpt that opens the novella. But I’m not the buyer of this novel…yet almost half of you liked it.

I have no idea what I’m going to do there. Except maybe give up sleep in order to have the time to learn Photoshop.  O.o

~~~

As for cost, most folks said $2.99 or above, which is a good thing, because after I posted the poll I learned that Amazon gives the better royalty rate at $2.99 or above. If the vast majority had voted for less, I’d’ve had a dilemma on my hands, so well done, ya’ll.  ;-)

~~~

I’ll revisit this project after I get past a few other deadlines. The most important thing is, a humongous thank you to everyone who took the time to comment! You all rock like major rocking things!

To properly thank you, I used a random number generator to pick three comment numbers, and those three people each win a prize! Ghislaine, Tanya, and Morgaine: you each get to pick a promo postcard autographed by me. Your choices are Cat Scratch Fever (UK cover, which of course I can’t find a picture of online), Where the Girls Are, or Fast Girls. Ghislaine, please send me your mailing address, too. Morgaine, will you be at CP Prize or would you like me to mail your card? Tanya, when are we getting together to write again?!)

3 comments:

Tanya Hanson said...

Yay! Soon...I was down with a nasty cold all week. Next week is pretty good except for Thursdays.

JP "Thomas" Andrews said...

I hope the ebook does well for you, I'll buy one when I can (I haven't read any of your stuff yet) get it on my Kindle.

Dayle A. Dermatis said...

Tanya - will follow up on the Vta-RWA list re: next week. Crazy month for me; was kind of hoping someone else would take up the reins. Oh well.

Thomas - thank you! I'll post a notice when it's available at various places. In the meantime, feel free to peruse my bibliography at http://cyvarwydd.com/bibliography/ A few stories there are free online reads (the ones published at Fishnet) to whet your appetite and entice you to buy more. :-)