We have two trips planned in the foreseeable future. Nothing major (sadly, the writers’ cruise to Mexico on which I was to be teaching was cancelled) but we’re really looking forward to both of them. So amidst everything else I’ve got on my plate, I’ve been poking around to make some tentative plans.
That’s where I need your help. If you have suggestions for either of these places, please let me know!
This is our not-quite-annual motorcycle trip (which this year won’t even be via motorcycle, since Ken’s throttle hand won’t be up to par yet), called Curve Cowboy Reunion. Mostly BMW LTs, with other BMWs and other bikes mixed in for good measure, the point of this rally is a place with a gorgeous locale; pretty, fun roads to ride; good food; and often a whiskey tasting. Ken will be giving a talk on his IBR experiences one day, too. :-)
Here’s what I’ve found so far: Old Idaho Penitentiary (opened in 1872, and hopefully haunted!), World Center for Birds of Prey, the historic train depot, the Morris-Knudson Nature Center, and maybe tubing down the river.
Is there anything else that’s a must-see/must-do in Boise? How about restaurants?
We’ll be there from Tuesday evening through Saturday morning.
The first annual Erotica Authors Association conference will be held in Sin City, as appropriate. We’ll be driving out there on Thursday—the conference is Friday and Saturday—and staying through Monday morning, since driving back from Vegas on a Sunday involves just sitting in traffic forever.
So that gives us Thursday evening (although we may hook up with other conference attendees) and all day and night Sunday for Fun Stuff.
We’ve seen the lions at the MGM multiple times, been to The Secret Garden to see the white tigers and the dolphins andandand!, and seen Bite (erotic vampire show set to 70s and 80s rock). We have no interest in gambling. So what would you suggest?
- a nice dinner somewhere (Aureole at Mandalay Bay has a certain groovitude given that a faux version of it appears in A Little Night Music, but they appear to be booked and might be a little rich for our tastes anyway). So.
- a show. Morgana recommends Love; I’m curious about O (but holy moly, the price!). I have once again missed the Lipizzan stallions, snarfleblast! Any other recommended shows?
- the Mandalay Bay Aquarium
- the rides at the top of the Stratosphere. We stayed here a couple of years ago and bought the package for the rides, but I ended up with a migraine….
- The Secret Garden again. Because white tigers and lions and dolphins andandand!
- Hoover Dam. I’ve never been there!
We are weird, esoteric, geeky, and random. Onetwothreego!