~~ "She has so many aliases, you'd think she was a spy!" ~~

Wednesday, February 01, 2012

All over and up and down and around

Whee! I had a great week with Ken and my friend Sara, running to and fro—literally. We picked up Sara last Wednesday at the airport, grabbed Thai food—because of my cold, I was really grateful for the spicy soup—and headed to Anaheim for the first of several Styx shows. Before the show we hung out in a coffee shop for a bit, catching up on our various electronic devices, before our friends Fran and Thom and Tani met up with us. At the venue, it was a glorious reunion; the first show after a break is a wonderful homecoming with friends: Sheri and Nanci and Lisa and Naoko and the twins and their mom and Maria. Ack, I’m sure I’m forgetting someone! Hugs all ‘round, and then into the show, which was of course awesome. We had dinner afterwards with Tani and then drove home and fell over, exhausted.

The next morning we slept in for a little bit, and then Sara and I fluffed and buffed and headed up to Solvang. After purchasing a yummy cheese at the wine and cheese shop, we went over to the casino to see if we could get tickets for the show that night (we hadn't been able to get any decent tickets when they first went on sale). We weren't lucky, but we had an amusing time wandering around the casino and briefly hanging out with the assistant tour manager. We spent that evening eating cheese and crackers and watching videos.

Friday saw the three of us battling traffic to get to Temecula for the show there. The band again kicked ass (Dragon Dictate insists that last word should be “pass.” I can't wait until I start dictating an erotica story!) and a friend was kind enough to offer me a backstage pass for a brief meeting with Tommy Shaw. Of course, then we all headed out to the buses and got to see Tommy again, along with Todd and Lawrence.  :-)

We stayed in Orange County that night because Geoff Tate of Queensryche was doing a signing at the wine shop; he's partnered with the winery and created a red and the white. Then we hopped back in the car and headed north to San Luis Obispo because Geoff was playing a show there that night. Yes, that's a lot of driving! You should have seen Geoff’s tour schedule! It was all over the map.

On Sunday we rejoiced at not having to put on makeup and being able to stay in our pajamas most of the day. The only time we went out was to pick up groceries—Sara and I made a vat of vegetable soup for dinner.

Sadly, I had to take her back to the airport on Monday afternoon and wave a mournful farewell. Then I came home and mostly collapsed. Actually, that's not entirely true: I paid bills and cleaned off my desk and answered a ton of e-mails. That said, I'm still fighting off this cold and goodness knows bouncing up and down at concerts doesn't exactly constitute “taking it easy.” I spent most of yesterday working, and today Ken and I ran some errands.

I was supposed to have had my root canal this morning, but my dentist was sick. I'm rescheduled for tomorrow morning—keep your fingers crossed. I really want to get this over with while Ken's home and it doesn't interfere with travel!

February should be a relatively quiet month until the end, when I head up to Oregon for two workshops. I'm looking forward to getting my health back, to working out, and to getting lots of work done. I'm still focusing on the publishing arm of my business along with copyediting, but Dragon Dictate is helping immensely with e-mails, blog posts, and an upcoming nonfiction assignment I've just been offered.

Happy Imbolc to you all! We’re halfway to spring and the light is returning.

No comments: