~~ "She has so many aliases, you'd think she was a spy!" ~~

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Why I haven't been blogging

I woke up today (well, yesterday as I finally get around to writing this) to an email from my mother: “Why haven’t you written a blog since July 12? I miss them.”

While it’s always nice to be loved and missed…here’s what I’ve been doing since then.

Ken was in a motorcycle accident late Thursday, July 11 (Pacific time). I blogged about that here, in a semi-conscious state because lovely people were calling me at all hours to find out how he was and how I was. I love those people. I also love sleep. I had to choose between the two, and I chose the people.

Saturday remains something of a blur. According to my notes, along with all the calls, I edited some stories to publish and tidied my dresser. I believe I also unpacked the bag I was to take to Oregon (I’d shipped the bulk of my stuff because the plan had been for Ken to ride there after the IBR and attend a goodly portion of the workshop, and then we’d ride home together).

Early Sunday morning, well before I’d intended to wake up, Ken called to tell me that no, I absolutely no-arguing-book-the-flight had to go to the workshop that I’d cancelled upon hearing of his accident. I repacked and we were both on a plane that afternoon.

We’re officially not allowed to blog about workshops, so that took up the rest of that week (through the following Saturday). Ken napped a lot and my brain exploded from an overload of business information. Sunday we headed to Portland, and Monday I worked like a fiend while Ken met with one of his customers. We had dinner with friends that night, and Tuesday we were on a plane home. Our luggage, however, was not. We stopped at our favorite Thai place near the airport and arrived home at about 9 pm. Our luggage was delivered at 3:20 am.

Since then I’ve been working full time, taking care of Ken and the cats and the house, running errands, and generally trying to keep my head above water. We’re sadly not up to cooking healthy meals each night, but Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods prepared meals are getting us through. Except for the night we ordered from Pizza Hut because I found a $9 any size any topping coupon online and at 9 pm, I was wilting from exhaustion and the concept of actual food preparation.

So that’s why I haven't been blogging. 

(I love you, Mom.)


Emerald said...

I somehow missed the post about the accident, and I'm especially sorry I did because I live in Virginia and would have been happy to help however I could. I am deeply relieved and glad to hear Ken is (relatively) okay, and I wish him all the best in his recovery. I wish you, of course, all the best as well. <3

Dayle A. Dermatis said...

Thank you, sweetheart! We were lucky that my eldest niece and goddaughter live nearby, as well as another motorcycle person whom Ken knows online, PLUS yet another motorcycle person was in the area and was able to help as well. So we were well covered - but it is wonderful of you to offer and I'll keep you in mind the next time we're in Virginia - even if it's to get together for drinks or something! xo