~~ "She has so many aliases, you'd think she was a spy!" ~~

Friday, October 05, 2007

The minutiae of war

Have we already been at War two days? How did that happen?

So, it’s dangerous being right by the Merchant area. I’ve already come away with a purple lace parasol for Goth/Victorian/faerie outfits (I want to add black fringe around the edge) and a pair of amber earrings to go with a necklace I have (the latter were actually on my To Buy list). I’m seriously considering a ring and some dark blue plaid linen to make a peplos, and Ken’s got his eye on two books, one about period maps and one a serious of essays about Da Vinci and Italy. Ack. And that’s before we discuss the fact that the four of us don’t have nearly enough lanterns for our encampment….

We watched some equestrian stuff today, and Morgana and I lusted after a gorgeous rider in a short Romanesque tunic, leather armbands, black hair, dimples, and a British accent. Oh, the horses were gorgeous, too… Ken and I worked a shift at Gate, and would have worked a second shift except a fresh wave of volunteers showed up. For lunch today we ate at a food merchant who made awesome garlic fries, and I made nom nom nom noises as I ate them. I took pictures of decorative painting on pavilions, the tasty equestrian rider, and the pink clouds of the sunset.

The best part, of course, has been seeing friends we haven’t seen in awhile due to Ken being gone so much and me being so busy and unable to drive at night, etc. We’ve had to endure numerous hugs and various squeals of delight. It’s a tough life…

And, of course, it wouldn’t be an SCA event without someone trying to talk me into taking on a volunteer position. A Society-wide volunteer job, no less. It’s a huge compliment to be thought of as having the skills, of course, but…augh!

---

Currently Reading: R is for Ricochet, Sue Grafton
Lately Listened To: drumming, and lots of it
Recently Watched: thoroughly yummy horse guy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds fantastic!

Marian X

malvoisine said...

Sorry I couldn't be there to get in on the hugging & squealing. Maybe next year.

Dayle A. Dermatis said...

Oh, believe me, Simon gave us your share. He leapt onto Ken...!