~~ "She has so many aliases, you'd think she was a spy!" ~~

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Thursday Thirteen

Thirteen Things I Love About Halloween:


1. Rereading scary books, like The House With the Clock in Its Walls by John Bellairs, which terrified me as a kid.

2. Costumes! More excuses to dress up (and not have people look at you funny)!

3. The photography of Simon Marsden.

4. Decorating! Even though I’m not really doing any this year, I had a blast helping Morgana. A corollary to this is shopping for more decorations!

5. My Goth stuff doesn’t look out of place.

6. I’m not a big candy person, but I’m happy it’s an excuse for everyone who is, to pig out. And I have in fact been known to get absolutely bizarre under the influence of candy corn.

7. It’s a time to honor and remember those who have gone on before us. I often think of my grandparents, aunt and uncle, etc., but this is a chance to sit and reflect on what they’ve passed on to me.

8. As much as I get grumpy about the older kids who don’t bother with a real costume and just expect candy, I just adore seeing the little kids all dressed up and nearly speechless with excitement.

9. I get to tell the story of my worst Halloween ever, when my sister dressed me as a dice and I spent the entire night in fear of being dropped on my head. (Apologies to my mother, whom I blamed the costume on for years.)

10. I get to tell the story about how every year, I’d bite the white part off the top of a candy corn, hold it out in my palm, and say “Mom, I broke a tooth!”—and every single year she would believe me.

11. An excuse to watch Practical Magic, one of my favorite movies!

12. Releasing my inner purple:


13. It’s a time for analyzing the past year, looking ahead to the next, and celebrating the Turning of the Wheel. Happy New Year, everyone!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great way to start your TT addiction, Dayle! I bet you were a cute little die... Sorry, couldn't resist. Love your list tho!

Dayle A. Dermatis said...

Thanks! I actually kinda wish there were pictures of that costume...

Debbie Mumford said...

Great list! Welcome to T13!!

http://debbie-mumford.blogspot.com/

Heather said...

Welcome to the TT, Dayle!

http://wordtrix.blogspot.com/

Pamela said...

Great list, Dayle!

http://indya42.livejournal.com/

Gina Ardito aka Katherine Brandon said...

Welcome to TT, Dayle. Great first list. Love your "inner purple." :-)

Unknown said...

Welcome aboard the T13 train! Fun memories of Halloween past.
http://adellelaudan.blogspot.com