~~ "She has so many aliases, you'd think she was a spy!" ~~

Sunday, May 02, 2010

Another weekend


Blessed Beltane!

We’re hosting a party tonight for a friend celebrating her divorce being final. Not the smartest move on my part, since I’ve been feeling under the weather and have a mass of deadlines starting to crash around me. But I love my friends, and that means I just can’t help myself when it comes to doing nice things for them!

It’s potluck, but I always believe in making sure there’s a good variety of food already available, so here’s what we’ve got:
  • sloppy joes in the slow cooker
  • coleslaw (I’ve developed a great non-mayo recipe with white balsamic vinegar and a hint of wasabi)
  • French bread with spiced oil for dipping
  • wasabi almonds, regular almonds, and pistachios
  • chocolate-chip oatmeal cookies (dough made, I’ll start popping them in soon)
Unfortunately, between that and cleaning the lower half of the house, I’m knackered and have a vague headache forming. Sigh. I just hope enough people show up!



Party was a success. A bit small, but everyone seemed to have fun, and that’s what’s important. I’m really glad we made the sloppy joe’s, because they were the only main dish, and the slow cooker was scraped clean (but we have a pile of buns left). The coleslaw also mostly got eaten, which was nice; the last time I brought it to something, it didn’t get as much attention. For my part, I discovered that it tasted fantastic on my sloppy joe!

The wasabi almonds were startling to people who popped them in their mouths without realizing what they were. Morgana’s expression was priceless…

I was pretty much dead all day today, though. Dammit. I dealt with some e-mail, didn’t quite finish The Oak Leaf (realized I had to go to the copy shop to have something scanned, but didn’t have the energy to actually go…), read for a bit, called my sister to wish her a happy birthday. Then, after dinner (burgers, made out of cow rather than turkey, because red meat is what I need in my current physical condition), I finally started to perk up, and ended up in the living room where I wrote 1K on the CES story and worked on an editing proposal while Ken napped.

We roused ourselves long enough to give the cats subcu fluids, and Ken crashed and I’m still working…which is probably not the best idea, given the hour. Someday I’ll learn to just stop scheduling anything before noon, and accept the fact that I work best between 11 p.m. and 3 a.m.

Today is not that day, so I’m off… G’night!

No comments: