~~ "She has so many aliases, you'd think she was a spy!" ~~

Thursday, July 04, 2013

Thank you, wonderful friend!

A friend of mine (who I won't name unless they give me the okay), sent me a glorious email the other day.

The subject line was "You suck." So I was a wee bit trepidatious when I clicked on it.

She wrote:

It's late, I'm tired, I should be going to sleep, and I can NOT stop reading Written on the Coast. I'm going to be useless tomorrow morning & it's your fault.
(It *really* is addictively good.)
This was my response to her:
In Neil Gaimain's "Make Good Art" speech, he says,
"A freelancer's life, a life in the arts, is something like putting messages in bottles, on a desert island, and hoping someone will find one of your bottles and open it and read it, and put something in a bottle that will wash its way back to you: appreciation, or a commission, or money, or love. And you have to accept that you may have to put out a hundred things for every bottle that winds up coming back."
I can't tell you how much your email means to me.
Thank you for sending the bottle back to me. I'll cherish it.
(I might note this is the book I gave to Neil. Dare I hope he has a similar reaction? Eep!)


No comments: