And so it begins… Our first rejection for Out of the Frying Pan. A photocopied form letter in which the editor didn’t even bother to scribble in the novel title after the “Re:”. Ouch.
Ah well. Onwards.
Alison Tyler recently namechecked me in talking about rejections; how some writers never mention them whereas others (like me) list them along with the acceptances. You know, it never occurred to me not to mention them. This journal is, among other things, a writer’s log, and rejections are a pretty big part of the business. While I’m in no way implying that writers who don’t list them are somehow being untruthful, I don’t see how I could accurately portray my own writing journey without mentioning them.
Plus, quite honestly, this journal also serves a backup of my records, since I have to be pretty obsessive about tracking submissions and acceptances and rejections for tax purposes!
<>-<>-<>The headache lingers as a bad memory in the back of my brain, threatening to return at the slightest provocation. So far, so good, though. I’ve been able to be reasonably productive today, all things considered:
- Paid bills
- Read 10 stories
- Cleaned out In Box
- Finished tweaks on Teresa’s and my next Lust Bites article (to be posted Wednesday!)
- Uploaded and labeled photos from two Styx shows (the only ones at which we were able to take pictures. That’s it. There are no more.).
- Got adjusted
- Um, I know there was more, but I can’t remember now. Dishes, etc. Dinner was leftovers from last night (new batch of potatoes, but Ken handled those)—even better the second time around!
- Toss the makings for lowfat jambalaya in the crockpot
- Go to the DMV to pick up plates for the old car
- Get a massage
- Pick up a few things at the grocery store
- Go to bed even earlier than tonight in preparation for getting up at 3:30 a.m. to get to the airport in time on Thursday. (I apparently was not in my right mind when I made the flight reservations. Jaysus. I am going to be a frakking zombie.)
Currently Reading: Valiant: A Modern Tale of Faerie, Holly Black
Lately Listened To: not a whole lot, actually. Huh.
Recently Watched: Ghost Hunters International, Clean Sweep