~~ "She has so many aliases, you'd think she was a spy!" ~~

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Workshopped hard and put away wet


Thursday, 28 February 2008


Nope, I’m not on the plane yet, but I’m comfortably early to the airport so there’s no stress. That said, I feel like five levels of crap because of lack of sleep, and possibly I’m coming down with a cold, but I don’t know. And I’m thirsty, but I’m also grumpy about the cost of a frakking bottle of water. It would not surprise me one whit to find out TSA is getting kickbacks from the bottled water industry and the cosmetics/toiletries industry for the ridiculous and useless liquids ban.

I have five stories left to read, so I guess I’ll have at them…

On the plane now. Less grumpy. Flying generally makes me happy. We arced out over the ocean, and as always, I looked for dolphins or whales. Should I go whale watching for my birthday? I can’t decide.

Friday, 29 February 2008

Happy Leap Day!

Yep, I have a cold. ::muttergrumble:: I mainlined Nyquil last night and slept pretty hard, and so far the symptoms aren’t major, so maybe I’ll get through this. I even figured out the next story we have to write.

Three rejections (short story, not novel) today. Sheez. Couldn’t they have waited ‘til I got home?

<>-<>-<>

The consensus from Dean and Denise Little is that the story I submitted for the swords anthology is the beginning of a novel. ::pound head on desk:: Allllrighty then, I’ll add that to the list. Because I need a paranormal British World War II novel on the list. (It’s all Doctor Who’s fault, I’m telling you.) Denise also said she’d consider the story again with some rewrites, although it’s one of three stories about the sword Dyrnwyn, so she may not be able to juggle all three into the book.

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, you betcha.

I’ve finished the next story, although it’s short. It is what it is. I have no perspective anymore. I do have, however, Nyquil, and I’m almost a zombie…

2 March 2008

Hangin’ out in PDX with fellow workshopper Dave. (This was his first workshop—he’s coming to the Master Class in the fall—and he came through with flying colors.) I board in about 45 minutes, so I’ll wander through security (which has no line) in half an hour, grab a sandwich and a water, and all will be well. Then Ken will pick me up, we’ll go home and watch Torchwood, and I’ll sleep for many hours. Nyquil will be involved. I’m in the process of losing my voice.

That story I had no perspective on? Denise says she’s buying it. Squee! (“Squee” is actually an important part of the story. Hee.)

I also received another one of those “we liked it, but decided against it, and please send us something else” rejections via e-mail.

Okay, I’m going to go ahead and upload this as one entry, because it’s not worth posting a bunch of little ones.

I’ll add that I’m very sad that nobody had any questions for me… :-(

2 comments:

TeresaNoelleRoberts said...

Squee! Congrats on the sale. (Does the traditional writer's happy dance, including the traditional bathrobe costume and cup of hot caffeinated beverage prop.)

Sorry about the cold. I hope it's not the same bug that's been rampaging through the Northeast; we've been passing it back and forth among the household since, I swear, New Year's Eve.

And go whale watching for your birthday if you can. It's amazing!

Dayle A. Dermatis said...

I've been whale watching a few times so I know just how breathtaking it is. I'm just trying to decide if doing it is the #1 thing I want to do for my birthday.